}

Sunday, February 19, 2012

An unhappy hooker

So, there I was sitting at the tying desk noodling around with different materials today when I heard a small crash. I turned around and my hook box was lying upside down on the floor. So were about 500 hooks of various sizes but mostly small...buried in the shag-type carpeting. Oh my!

I started to pick them up in bunches until my fingers yelled stop. (mistake #2) but that didn't work out so well. Remembering that downstairs in the "junk" drawer in the kitchen was a magnet of unknown origin I grabbed it and went back upstairs. Does anyone know how far a size 24 dry fly hook can fly? Never mind... 4 feet from the initial point of impact.

I began running the magnet over and over and over the area. Possibly mistake #3. You see this magnet obviously once helped run a large turbine...powerful beyond words. I now have around 500 (give or take a few) hooks that are magnetized in several bunches. Does anyone have a cure for this? Maybe it doesn't matter. I can't imagine trying to sort them anyway.

I guess it would be polite to show a few flies at this point. Yes, that's all there is...I was just getting started. 1 red ant, 2 stimulators, 1 humpy and 1 caddis. I was playing with foam ants when the accident occurred.