Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Tying the 1/2 a Moldy Twinkie Nymph (cream filled)

Today's fly tying lesson, although not stream tested yet, is sure to whet the appetite of even the fussiest fish. The idea for this fly came shortly after Hostess, makers of fine cupcakes and other animal fat infused goodies went away. The thought of no Twinkies so upset me that it became a daily obsession to stop at a different store every day on the way to work to search the day or so old rack hoping to find one sweet morsel. Well, I never did find any but that's the story anyway.

Material list

1) Any old size fly hook
2) Twinkie colored foam cylinder
3) Twinkie colored thread 
4) 25 wraps of lead
5) White chenille or other white stuff like antron or something
6) Green and blue markers

Recipe 

This is a very simple fly to tie. The reasoning behind using foam and then weighing it down is simple. You want the fly to lie low in the water like a soggy Twinkie. 

Wrap your lead 25 times around the hook centered on the shank. Take your Twinkle colored thread and secure the lead so it won't slip. The Twinkie has to lay flat or it won't be attractive to the fish. Whip finish the thread at the head and cut off.

Take a piece of tubular foam and measure so it leaves you room to tie your tippet to the eye and extends 1/4 inch past the end of the hook. Cut the foam to length leaving the finished end at the back and the cut end at the hook eye.

Cut a straight slit on the underside of the foam. squeeze some super glue on the hook shank and in the slit. Place the foam on the hook so the rear hangs off the back of the hook and you can tie your tippet to the eye. Let the glue dry before moving on to the next step.

Once the glue is dry, poke a hole in the top of the Twinkie and insert your chenille or whatever you decided to use. You may have to make a knot in the end of the chenille to have something to force into the hole. Put a drop of super glue on the hole to hold the chenille. Be careful, when I did this it started smoking. This is the cream filling coming out...trim it to desired length.

Color the mold with the green and blue markers...and you're done. Oh and if you want to tie a whole Twinkie instead, it will then be a Whole Moldy Twinkie Nymph. (Cream filling or not is your  choice.) 

Happy fishing and let me know how you do.

Ummmmmm!

22 comments:

  1. Don't leave that lying around at the Fly Geezer Shop. Someone would definitely try to eat that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Kevin, Yeah I can just imagine the lawsuit over that one!

      Delete
  2. Interesting....but I prefer the real thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alan, I do to, but try to find one. Anyway, this isn't for you to eat it's for the fishes.

      Delete
  3. Howard, you REALLY need to get out. If you'd like,I can find you some professional help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark, my wife, who is a therapist, thinks that it's good mental health exercise. After all they tie flies that look like cigarette butts, bread crust and fallen leaves. Why not a Twinkie or a Powerbaitfish?

      Delete
  4. Howard tie flies! Just have to buy a couple of Rapala lures for trout. Then I start looking for my first fly rod. I know nothing is for fly fishing, but maybe somehow it will! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tom, I will package up some Rapala lures to you soon. I am excited for you to try fly fishing. You will love it. And yeah boy, I tie flies.

      Delete
  5. And it's official: you have lost it. At the same time that "bug" will probably catch fish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mr. Werner, thanks for stopping by and confirming what thousands already know. Would you like yours cream filled or not?

      Delete
  6. So a moldy twinkie fly!!!
    You know Howard there is a good possibility that we might run into each other while fishing our beautiful state.for some reason i think i will know who you are even without introductions
    Sagetrout out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Sagetrout, I would certainly welcome the company. I'll even provide the flies. Name your poison. By the way, just so you don't confuse me with other lunatics on the water, I'll be the one with Jaeger Meister strapped to my hip.

      Delete
  7. I think you are trying to give Hank Patterson a run for his money

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Nick, nice to see you. I hope your traveling is done for awhile. The only difference between Hank and I is he's got a production company behind him. Watch for a video coming from Windknots.

      Delete
    2. Happy as always to be here! Unfortunately, travel season is really just ramping up. DC for 9 days, Vegas for a week or so followed by Houston for another few days or so.

      I hope that video comes out soon so it gives me something to watch on the plane!



      Delete
    3. Nick, I'll get to work on it tonight.

      Delete
  8. I'm confused, is this for catching fish or people?? Perhaps mermaids?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Tim, Thanks for stopping. Actually it's neither...it's called therapy.

      Delete
  9. I don't for sure, but I believe that Twinkies are impervious to mold due to their delectable ingredients. I'm thinking that wise old trout probably know this, so a plain yellow/creme tube will probably work best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Fred, I did some checking on line and found out that you're almost right. It would take 2 years and an atomic bomb to destroy a Twinkie. But it's all good...I learned a long time ago to never argue with a guide.

      Delete
  10. Howard, this is genius!
    I don't what else to say.
    Genius!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paul, modesty prevents me from arguing with you. But genius?...I'll settle for brilliant! Thanks for commenting.

      Delete

Your comments are welcome and encouraged.