Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Saying hi to Winter

Just like clockwork, the Arctic Express has hit Colorado. It's a good thing to because I was just about ready to go out fishing and I really hate to mess with tradition. For about the past 15 years tradition has ordered me to stay away from temperatures below 50.

Rather than bore everyone with what I haven't been doing, I thought I'd pass some good cheer around for everyone.


Just because I'm not fishing in freezing weather doesn't mean nobody else is. Emily over at The River Damsel is still at it. This obviously wasn't taken during the recent cold snap.

My friend Mark over at Northern California Trout has had a rough time lately with a hex, jinx or just plain poor fishing. I've offered some advice to him and just so he knows, here are my two secrets for successful non-fly fishing. Mark, I'll send these to you with a word of caution. Both the Powerbait and Pautzke's are about 15 years old.

One of most exciting things that I can think of right now is the debut of Rebecca Garlock of the Outdooress blog and our fearless leader at the Outdoor Blogger Network starring in A Deliberate Life. It's a very well done video and worth a look or two.

Well, I hope everyone is staying warm and if you're actually getting out fishing...what the hell is the matter with you?








18 comments:

  1. Howard I love you like family, but keep that arctic stuff in Colorado.
    By the way did you know Orvis was coming out with a series of glass rods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alan, I'll do what I can about keeping the weather here, but I'm traveling to Ohio next week so I'm pretty sure it's going to follow me east. I have seen the new Orvis offering and I'm pretty impressed. One of my favorite glass rods was an Orvis Fullflex from back in the 70s. Wish I hadn't sold it.

      Delete
  2. Howard
    You need what I have often dreamed of, a house in the south in the winter months and a house out west in the spring and summer months. When you figure out how to swing that let me know. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Bill, I'll tell you what. You come stay with us in the Spring and Summer and I'll come stay with you guys in the Winter. I've got 1 wife, 2 adult kids, 2 dogs and 1 cat. When can I move in?

      Delete
    2. Howard, you should have told Bill that you were bringing along a lost Pond Stalker, too!
      Too dang cold for me to be outside. Tie a fly, read blogs, and harass folks on Facebook. Sound familiar!

      Delete
    3. Brother Mel, it sounds too familiar. I'm too cold to even write much. I'll send a message to Brother Bill and let him know that I'm bringing along company. Will it be one or two?

      Delete
  3. I'll take that lunchbox off your hands anytime. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. www.rockymountainflyfisher.com/
    Howard,seeings how you are into promoting peoples books and videos maybe you could put in a plug for a friend of mine.Josh Rickard just finished an excellent dvd on fishing Rocky Mountain National Park.Josh is a insect guru and quite the fly tier.
    Check out his website at the above address if you'd like.Lots of good info and you can order the dvd if you want.Don't think it is out for sale yet but will be soon.I have seen it and it is really good.
    Thanks Howard
    Sagetrout out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Sage, thanks for the heads up. As a matter of fact, I just shared the trailer for that on Facebook. It is excellent and it would be a pleasure to give Josh some airtime.

      WWW.rockymountainflyfisher.com

      Delete
  5. Yeh, I hear it's a little white over there. We'll be getting some of our own in the next day or two. Since the hex has been broken, you can keep the eggs and Power Bait, besides if it's more than about 30 minutes old, it doesn't work any more anyhow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark, I'm glad to hear the hex is broken. I also hope you know that I'm only teasing you. I wouldn't give up my 15 year old Powerbait or eggs...they're part of my history of fishing museum I have her at my house.

      Delete
  6. Howard
    How fond are you of your cats and dogs??? Another question how good are you at reading into the first sentence??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill, truth be known I'm only fond of my wife and Bubby the non-fishing dog. He's so old...

      Delete
  7. Almost time to break out the ice fishing traps and some tea over a winter campfire..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Send me pictures buddy, I ain't going!

      Delete
  8. Nice post Howard. I would love to do some fishing, but -10 does not inspire me to hit the river. I guess I need to tie up some more Zebra midges...

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a plan Mike. Unfortunately I'm not even into tying right now. My big project this weekend is trying to stay warm.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome and encouraged.