}

Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Checking out Boulder Creek

I know I talk about Clear Creek a lot. But, it's not the only place to fish close to home for me. About 12 miles West of my front door is the City of Boulder and Boulder Creek. I know you're saying who would want to fish in the middle of Boulder? Well, it can be something of a challenge. Not because the fishing is poor, but because of other distractions-like homeless folks bathing in the water, dogs playing in the water, duck races and tubers.


Yes, you read that right. In the picture at left, you'll see a woman in blue and her dog in the water in front of her. I was obviously fishing across the stream from her when she threw a stick into the water for her dog to fetch. I threw a rock at her and told her to fetch but she wouldn't.

In the next photo, Boulderarians are floating their duckies in a traditional rubber duck race on Boulder Creek. A recent poll showed that the number of ducks is equal to the number of people on welfare, but I can't verify that.

Another rumor is that they used to race real ducks, but the city made them stop because they were contracting strange diseases from the homeless.

In the photo below, tubers are enjoying a nice summer day cooling off. These are few of the legal activities that take place on Boulder Creek in town. Believe it or not, the fishing can be outstanding in between the duckie hatch and the tube hatch. And sometimes the scenery is downright outstanding if you get my drift.                                                                                       
Following the road West takes you out of town and into the foothills and Middle Boulder Creek. Boulder Creek in this area allows for some semi-privacy although a lot of the creek runs next to the road or a short walk in to the water. 

Boulder Creek fishes well for small browns, rainbows and occasional brook trout with nice larger fish possible.
Notice the "rock art" in the lower right corner.
Boulder Creek in downright beautiful in the Fall





24 comments:

  1. The dog owners really get to me. They have no problem walking right next to you and throwing a stick for the dog to chase. I suppose that's why I prefer getting away from the crowds. Sure it means a bit more work to bushwhack my way away from people but it's typically worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Nick. I don't fish Boulder Creek in town but once in a blue moon. It's less of a problem the further up in the hills you go and the fishing is better. My favorite time is going still further up. It is worth it.

      Delete
  2. I suppose everybody has their own thing on the water. Does make it hard to fish at time though. I've had many of those same experiences so I can sympathize.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I said to Nick, I don't fish in town very often. Even Clear Creek generally doesn't have that many people, at least during the week. Weekends and holidays I stay away. I go for solitude.

      Delete
  3. A little further to the north and west and you will do just fine
    Sagetrout out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Sage, I know what you're talking about. I haven't been any further North this year yet. Hopefully soon. I've got a week off coming up.

      Delete
  4. It really does look like a beautiful little creek. Those pics don't look much different than a lot of our rivers here in the Ozarks once the aluminum hatch starts...you just never know what you might see.
    Maybe you should have tried to get the dog to take a dry , I bet he could put a bend in the old 5 weight!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jeff, it really is pretty, especially higher up. I would have seen what the dog was made of, but I only had a 4wt and was aiming for the girl not the dog.

      Delete
  5. The one and only time I have had the opportunity to fish Boulder Creek was in town. On that day, I found it to be delightful with not a whole lot of distractions as you mention. However, it does take some getting used to fishing with an audience even if they are not in the water. Not complaining, certainly willing fish as I remember.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes Mel, I remember that day. I was supposed to meet you and Justin and had car troubles. I've often thought about that day with a lot of regret for not making it. There are days where you can fish uninterrupted in town, but they're rare. I need to take you a little higher up.

      Delete
  6. I'm going to a place next weekend that is similar to this place. I hope I get some pics of people doing their version of the Hillbilly Olympics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! That's a good one Kevin. Yeah, I guess you can probably find them everywhere. Keep us posted.

      Delete
  7. Howard
    Absolute stunning creek in a crowded area, I would have to get away from the crowds, especially the homeless.
    I am going to get on my soap box here: if these individual are able to walk around and beg for money, then they should be able to at least get a job somewhere.
    My son Jason has never got use to the homeless situation in Sacramento, he said they are everywhere out that way. What makes matters worst these individuals are all young in their twenties. Thanks for sharing a beautiful creek

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You Bill. It is a pretty creek and there are a few places in town where you can fish without being bothered much by anyone except a walker or bike rider once in a while. I much prefer to go another 10 or so miles up the road and fish unmolested. I'll be going up there soon and I'll grab some better pictures.

      Delete
  8. great looking water. I cant stand how obnoxious dog owners can be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In Boulder, you're not a dog owner, you're a pet guardian and they take it very seriously. Animals have rights although I've never known one to pay taxes.

      Delete
  9. Have you ever entered the duckie race? LOL They do one of those in my old hometown of River Grove on the Des Plains River. I have yet to enter.

    I, too, hate when people let their dog play in the water nearby. Some people just don't know the meaning of "space"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Justin! I've worked in Boulder twice in my life and I'll be going back up there soon. but once I leave work, I don't hang around. I didn't lose anything up there. So, no I don't do duckie races, run the Bolder Boulder or sit on Pearl St. Mall and watch the homeless grow.

      Delete
  10. I have a big problem with those not so smart dog owners who let their best friends jump in the stream right in front of where I'm fishing. What's so stupid is the remark they make "oh are you fishing".........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alan, we live in different worlds. As I mentioned above, in the People's Republic of Boulder, animals are better than people and have rights. I was encroaching on his territory. Of course I apologized profusely before I started pelting them with rocks.

      Delete
  11. Seems to be very busy there. A weekday fishing spot, perhaps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not really Josh, at least not in town. A little higher into the hills gives you a little more solitude.

      Delete
  12. Looks like a great spot..and great fun!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Howard.
    So pleased your up and about, fishing and blogging. Enjoy everyday my friend.

    Best Regards.

    Richard.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome and encouraged.