}

Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Vacation day trip: Days 2 and 3 or criminny, where did this rain come from?

If I had taken pictures on day 2, you'd be seeing pictures of rain. I rearranged my schedule to take care of a few pressing matters at home and planned to get out late afternoon. For those of you not from Colorado, summer afternoon rains are the norm.  The rains can range from a gentle to ferocious with hail and high winds. So scratch day 2.

Wednesday I got another late start. No one to blame but myself. I was enjoying a few extra hours of sleep. When I woke up I saw that the skies looked like they did yesterday but decided to hell with it...I'm going. Where to go? You guessed it...Clear Creek. I really do get skunked at other places as well as Clear Creek.

It was 10 degrees cooler than Monday and I saw no one else on the water. I can tell because I drove past the favorite place and kept on going until I had to turn around. There was a slight breeze blowing about 25 mph cross ways of course. I forgot my camera when I left home and had to go back and get it a few miles from the house so it looked like it was going to be another one of "those days."

As you can see from the photo above, the water had calmed down a little despite the evening rains we've been getting. I put on a Caddis looking thing with rubber legs (I love Caddis in general and rubber legs in particular) and weighted in front. I'd show you a picture but I lost it. Not in a tree, but snagged on a fish that took me into some rubble and broke me off.

After about an hour of catching a lot of nothing, I noticed the sky was darkening and the debate started. Go or stay. I was losing the battle to stay when I heard someone say hi.  There standing behind me was a fellow fly fisherman. We chatted awhile and he told me he had some luck downstream about 1/4 mile. My mind was made up and I started downstream.

 I had never fished much downstream from this location, only up. Don't ask me why because I couldn't tell you. The longer I walked the more I was entranced by the scenery. Once I reached the farthest point I had ever fished, I looked up at the threatening looking clouds and said GO!

I walked into trees and such that were over my head and blocked what little sun there was. I will tell you that I didn't enjoy it even though I could see daylight here and there.


For those of you that don't know it, I'm on several blood thinners to help keep blood clots from forming in my body. This means when I bleed, I really bleed. My legs took a beating from the trees and rocks. I finally walked what I thought was about 1/4 mile and exited the tunnel of foliage to what was a really a nice looking stretch of water.

I'm tired just talking about it.  The guy I ran across earlier had said he was using a brown colored parachute dry. I therefore tied on an Adams and started casting. And casting and casting. Nothing.

After walking the area for about an hour, I looked
up again and noticed the clouds were streaming in. After four hours of tramping and fishing I had nothing to show for it except legs that look like I was shot with buckshot.  You can thank me later for not posting pictures of that.

How do I rate this day. Well a picture of a fish would have been nice.  Instead I explored again, got some needed casting practice and was outdoors. Doesn't really get much better than that.


  photo http---signaturesmylivesignaturecom-54492-164-B54A33A36D8A28358BD9D26E03475367_zps31fc3bd2.png

Headed home

14 comments:

  1. Very nice report, Howard. Too bad about the rain aborting plans, but it's good for the rivers. There seams to be so much to explore on Clear Creek. I'm glad you were able to share some of it with me last year. Looking forward to more vaca adventures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clear Creek is a tributary of the South Platte River, approximately 66 miles (106 km) long,[2] in north central Colorado. The creek flows through Clear Creek Canyon in the Rocky Mountains directly west of Denver, descending through a long gorge to emerge on the Colorado Eastern Plains where it joins the South Platte.

      Thanks Dean! As you can see, I've only hit a very small portion of the Creek. Now I'll go exploring to see what I've missed.

      Delete
  2. Love the scenary and love that you are getting out to do some fishing! A couple thoughts...

    1. When you were little, and playing baseball - namely some outfield position - were you the kid that was always getting distracted by butterflies instead of focusing on the game? If so, me to.

    2. Im thinking that guy bamboozled you. He probably caught some good fish where you were so he made up the story about catching fish a 1/4 mile away so you'd leave. Personally, I'd get a dog and the next time you see him fishing, toss a stick in the water and tell the dog to go fetch.

    3. Buckshot leg pics please

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nick! To answer your questions: (1) I did play outfield and sustained a broken nose by a pop fly. Yes...I was looking at "something else." (2) I don't think he was bamboozling me. He drove off after we talked. (3) Okay, I took a picture of my legs. Now what?

      Delete
    2. I'll remember that. :0

      Delete
  3. Good that you got out. For some, blood thinners are a fact of life. Personally I hate them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark, you know it, but I forgot to stop at Cook's on the way out of town. Honestly, it's much more than going fishing. At this point it's getting my life back without being afraid of the what ifs. The tiniest scratch or cut bleeds sometimes forever. I hate the blood thinners to. I'd hate to think of what happens with a serious wound.

      Delete
  4. You ol' coot, good to see you getting some time outdoors and on the water. Darn those rocks and trees, they are always an adventure. I think you and I walk on common ground in that adjustments are being made each day to our life that we probable never thought would be necessary. Take care of yourself and have a ball doing it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't you flatter me Mel. I won't stop bugging you until you come with me to Clear Creek. I leave a little blood and a lot of flies there. It's really something to see. Emily will be here sometime soon and wants to fish with us. You can run but you can't hide from the Damsel!

      Delete
  5. Way to get after it Howard! I'm lovin that you're getting out and I can live vicariously through your posts. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tim, I appreciate it. Anyone who knows me knows fish comes in second to the experience. However, I'll post one as soon as I keep one on my line!

      Delete
  6. Howard
    There are some days that the beauty of the surroundings just out weights the fish landed, and on this trip according to your images the scenery of the outdoors won out. Enjoyed the post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bill. I was talking to another blogger on facebook and was just heading out the door. My destination was Boulder Creek. When it came time to make an important turn...left or right, I turned right. I'm really enjoying seeing new parts of the stream I've never seen before. And it gets me away from any people.

      Delete

Let's Talk...