}

Saturday, August 30, 2014

The mysterious fish corral

I just got back from fishing Clear Creek.  It was the first time I had been out since I don't remember when. I'd like to say I caught a few fish, but I can't.  I'd like to say I had a good time despite the fact that I didn't catch any fish.  Nope...can't do that either. Let's just say it was interesting. Interesting always takes in a lot of territory.

It was one of those days where I should have just stayed home. I tried to stay home but I kept talking myself into going. Once I left the house I drove to the local Stop and Rob for gas and a hot link and something cold to drink and hit the road right back home. When I had to make the last second decision whether to keep going or not, I kept going.

Traffic was unbelievably heavy for a Saturday morning. All the way up the canyon I kept arguing with myself about continuing. I even turned off the road once then continued on. As I approached my starting place there were a few cars pulled over, but no one fishing.

The second thing I noticed was what looked like lower then usual flows.  Not California low, but low. The third thing I noticed was too strange to explain although I'll try. I'm going to assume that everyone reading this knows what crop circles are, right? Those swaths cut out in fields that reportedly are made by aliens.

I'm not saying I believe that aliens make crop circles. I'm also not saying that what I saw was anything other than whatever your best guess might be. All I know is that the "fish corral" wasn't here the last time I was.

Anyway, if anyone has any ideas I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts.   This was the only interesting thing I found today.  I should have stayed at home.

21 comments:

  1. Looks like a "Tot Corral" to me. Tot plays while Dad or Mom fishes. Other than that, no clue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mel, I think that's the best guess I expected to hear. I can't imagine anyone actually doing that but it is a good guess. Judging by some of the people I see on Clear Creek you're probably right.

      Delete
  2. Aliens. For sure! They're so small you cannot see them, and they claimed that section of river to call home. They built a wall around it to keep any unwanted guests out. There's a force field that goes over their space like an invisible dome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The force field must have been turned off Justin. I was dropping a nymph on the outside of the wall and got my fly caught in the rocks. I walked the right side of the wall to get to my fly and fell off...and lost the fly.

      Delete
  3. Howard
    Could be someone camping out needed some trout to eat and built a corral to trap some fish, assuming they allow camping along the river. Howard keep plugging away at Clear Creek, success will happen soon, probably not on weekends but during the week. I never fish our tailrace on weekends, much too crowded. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Bill, that's the first thing that occurred to me. Not that I have experienced that. It wasn't that there were a lot of people there. In fact I was surprised to find only a few in passing and none of them fishing. I'll keep at it. Thanks buddy.

      Delete
  4. Just a bunch of stoners man.Its like those piles of rocks people make.Not sure what they are called,they do have a name i think.Even run into those things up in the PARK,usually put them back where they belong.If you're going to fish,fish or stay out of my stream
    Sgaetrout out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Sage, you're right, I've seen them before as well. I'm the same way, I knock them over and scatter the rocks around. If you come up with the name of these things let me know. Sounds like a good topic for a post.

      Delete
    2. I think they are called cairns.
      Sagetrout out

      Delete
    3. I do believe you are right Sage. Thanks!

      Delete
    4. I don't cairn anymore.ha ha
      Sagetrout out

      Delete
  5. Looks like a beer corral. Teens and college kids build them on the local creek. It's to keep beer cold and from being swept downstream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jboski, thanks! More than likely you are correct...maybe. I'm guessing that some idiot parents built the wall to corral their kids who were guarding the beer!

      Delete
  6. What you need is a couple og inland sea-horses and round up a few trout in the coral.Enjoy you blog. Makes my day many times.

    RR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank R Rhoades! You just made my day. My brain slipped a gear and I'm desperately trying to shift back into drive. This post didn't help.

      Delete
  7. Howard you made the right call. One can always stay home, there's no adventure in it.
    The next time out on the creek take a fly and cut the hook at the bend. Fish this fly and you'll see the biggest fish whack at it, of course you'll never land it but what a story, and that's an adventure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alan! It seems like the season is quickly slipping away and I'm glad I went also. Any day out is good even if the wanted results aren't there. I think I'm going to take your advice and see what happens. If nothing else it would make for a fun story.

      Delete
  8. looks like silly kids building circles with rocks to me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Headed up to the PARK on Sunday,that's all i,m gonna say
    Sagetrout out

    ReplyDelete

Let's Talk...